Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The terror begins...

We have so many classes this semester: systemic pathology, clinical pathology, parasitology, toxicology, pharmacology, anesthesia (to switch over to surgery midway through the semester), and at some point, infectious disease recitation. Eek! I checked out half a dozen textbooks from the library, so I can figure out which ones I might actually need to buy and scribble all over. Pharm and pathology have returned to haunt me; I barely scraped through the first iteration of those classes. I considered checking out Goodman and Gilman, but the fact it's as large as a breadbox dissuaded me. Instead I found a "Quick Look Series" workbook on pharmacology, which actually is remarkably clear and relevant.

My schedule is doubly complicated by the trips I'm already committed to taking. Fortunately they're in these first weeks of school, so in theory I won't be able to fall too far behind. However...it turns out that the Western Veterinary Conference is the same week I have three exams in a row. And I'm taking a red-eye flight back, to arrive half an hour before the first exam is supposed to start. Um. Perhaps I can take that one a week early? How much can they really cover in the two intervening lectures anyway?

On the plus side, the boyfriend is going to be studying abroad all semester. This doesn't sound too great from the stand point of back rubs and needing someone to remind me not to panic; but, at least I get lots of evenings free to study.

2 comments:

Life in vet school said...

Which pharm workbook are you using? We don't have a textbook, and I've been looking for a good, concise reference.

Ceres said...

I found a copy of Clinical Pharmacology from the "Quick Look Series in Veterinary Medicine", by Cynthia Webster. It has nice diagrams, quizzes in the back. I don't think it does much in-depth explanation, but for picking out the main points, it's good.