Sunday, January 31, 2010

It's a plan!

I got called in yesterday--which worked out really well, in fact. Realistically, I would not have gotten around to studying anyway. As it was, the surgery was relatively quick (a back--over in three hours!), and fortunately there was no backlog of pans to sterilize in the CS for clean-up.

Also, one of the older surgeons was supervising. He was one of the ones who seems to have endless patience with students, always able to offer a bit of advice in such a way that you're glad to take it. He helped with the teching, which was good--I haven't been called in since fall, and I wasn't moving efficiently enough to have kept up with four surgeons (eh, two of them were students) and the anesthesiologists.

Today, though--I must study! But all my good intentions will run away if I don't set up a study plan, since I keep forgetting how many classes I have.

So!
1. Anesthesiology: set up a chart of the drugs we learned last week, review the calculations. Our first exam is Wednesday.

2. Parasitology: Chart out this week's life cycles. My goal is to hang them on the walls when I'm done, and I have a lot of wall space to cover!

3. Pathology: Review cardio, probably by looking at pictures and reading my notes aloud.

If I feel like it, I will tackle the most recent lecture, which had a lot of diagrams with horrible 60's era typeface. I have trouble keeping up with the professor, who rattles off the complicated proceedings of the endocrine system like an auctioneer at a cattle sale. But without repeating anything, ever. If you were a good student, you'd be paying attention and get it the first time, right? (To be fair, he's perfectly willing to stop and repeat something; it's just hard to recognize when you, the student, need to have it explained again. After all, the professor knows what he's talking about, so it sounds very reasonable when he says it.)

4. Clin path: Technically we have homework due tomorrow afternoon. Hm. In contrast to systemic pathology, the professor for this class has splendidly lucid lectures, so I can probably get away with reading through the notes.

5. And if there's any time left over, making flash cards for all of the above!


No comments: