Sunday, January 10, 2010

Self diagnosis

So the question is what exactly brought on persistent cramps today? My bet is on a combination of raw carrots and iron supplement, on top of my GI tract's general disgruntlement with the world ever since I forced metronidazole on it. However, the reuben sandwich (with extra sauerkraut) and coleslaw may have also acted as predisposing forces. Starting last night and continuing all of today, I've been doubling over every couple of minutes with a fresh round of abdominal pain. I'd been a bit tender in increasing increments after Wednesday's endoscopy, but this is actual pain.

And it's exhausting. It's a good thing our winter break goes for three weeks, because I can't imagine how I would handle classes on top of this. As it is, I don't see a way I can keep up the surgery tech job. Sometimes I feel fine (well, not this week so much, actually). But it's so unpredictable, I don't think there's any way I could ensure I'd be able to work any given night. I know that there's never a way to guarantee you won't come down with a stomach bug on a day you have to work, but I think you can usually count on not having that problem a routine basis.

My hope is that with meds and very careful eating, I won't have this set of problems during school. Even if I do, there's a trance-like quality to studying which can cover up minor discomfort.

I find it interesting that I am much less resistant to the idea of starting meds before seeing the doctor once I'm actually in pain. "Gimme anything that'll help!"

Hopefully the copious amounts of gatorade, pepto bismol, and avoidance of carrots will do the trick and I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

No comments: