Saturday, December 5, 2009

How to relax (or not)

Perhaps reading about how smallpox hasn't really been eradicated after all is not the best way to relax. However, the fun part of reading "Demon in the Freezer" is realizing that now I know some of the techniques used in those high-biosecurity labs.

It's been a hard week, what with getting exams back and having papers to turn in. I reviewed my e-mails to non-vet people one day, as well, and found out my writing has deteriorated badly since the beginning of the semester. As the months go by, everything unrelated to infectious disease becomes incoherent and disjointed, and I start talking about salmonella and flaviviridae with increasing fervor.

I talked to the supervisor at work about fixing the on-call schedule so we don't get called in for twenty-four hour stretches. The alternative was probably going to be me giving two month notice and resigning. In some ways, that was an attractive option. I find being on-call to be a loathsome experience. The pager is like a black box of portable stress. If it doesn't go off, I'm worried I might have missed it, so I have to keep checking for the little blinking light. There's always the one long moment where you look at it and wait for it to blink.

If it does go off, that's the next four hours (at minimum).
Some of the people who no longer do this job assure me that, well yes, there are crazy times when you get called in the entire night every time you're on call. But then there are stretches where nothing happens at all! They say this as if it makes everything okay. "There might be times you don't get called in, isn't that awesome?!" Although to be honest, getting called in is not really the problem. Surgeries are exciting, and you learn a little more every time you help with one. No, the problem is cleaning up after the surgery, because then there is no more excitement and it usually takes about as long as the surgery itself. I like to think that it is a less important part of education at this stage; at any rate, I would rather be studying bacteria.

No comments: