Thursday, February 11, 2010

adjusting

One exam down, four to go, and then the cycle can repeat! After living in terror of the pharm exam for about 36 hours, it turned out that taking it made me the most emotionally stable I'd been all day. It's been really hard getting through days recently, between the prednisone preventing me from sleeping more than 5 hours a day and missing my fiance to a scary degree.

We're still working out how to communicate long-distance, so I never know if I'll hear from him on a given day. My life, after all, is very predictable (aside from the mood swings) and full of opportunities to check e-mail. He, on the other hand, is trying to learn to fit into an entirely new culture with a difficult language, and it's a complete guess when he will have access to the internet (technically he has it at his apartment, but whether he has time to use it is an entirely different matter). I think for me the harder part is knowing that he's going through culture shock and that the only thing I can do is wait. It's not something I can share or ameliorate (which my parents had to remind me; see, this is the problem with the mood swings, is that I feel like I've lost all rationality on top of everything else).

School at least gives me lots of opportunities to stay busy. It's hard to be too miserable when you're learning about the life cycle of lung worms! On that note, off I go to study a bit before class.

No comments: