Friday, April 19, 2013

complaints about grad school

Extra frustration today, as all the projects come due. These are realistic problems, by the way. Defining the problem can show the path to the solution...or so they say...at any rate, things that trip me up, and "working harder" is an ambiguous, unhelpful solution.


1. When I sit down to read (articles and schoolwork, that is) I get so bogged down in details and trying to think carefully about each bit that I don't even finish the one article.
Or, I get scroll through the endless pages and start panicking and can't concentrate at all.

2. There is always an assignment due, which means I'm always working on an assignment at last minute, which means it's always too late to ask for help.

3. There's that one class that I don't learn anything useful in and that has waaay too much homework. It is responsible for 50% of #2.

4. Most of what I'm learning is either too in-depth and I'm lost. Or it's too superficial and it's not gonna sink into my head at all.

5. Talking takes too long. And requires that I actually remember something, instead of reading from my notes.

6. Taking notes is hard. There's too much detail to capture and you just know you aren't going to be looking at them again. Like, ever.

7. They don't let you ask for refunds on classes like #3.

No comments: