Friday, October 12, 2012

Living like a Grown-up

In my perpetual avoidance of homework, I came across this lovely post: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/what-do-you-need-to-live-like-a-grown-up.

The author listed AA batteries, light bulbs, toilet paper, basic cooking supplies, and living things. All of which I've had...um...actually, I think I kept a stock of all of the above since I was a freshman in a dorm. Overprepared, maybe. And then I had one apartment for six years, which allowed for much accumulation. Even given that most of it was immediately lost to the winds of change when I moved, however, I did not and still don't feel like a grown-up. So I really enjoyed the comments, which opened up all sorts of possibilities.


  • Art on the walls. That has been carefully chosen. I would add, that has nice frames. Definitely the most grown-up moment I've had was getting a print framed to put in my new place. Now I just need art for all the other walls...
  • Space for guests. Visiting my sisters twice in a row made a huge impression on me. One was in the process of moving. I slept on the couch, surrounded by cardboard boxes, and listening to the wheeze of the geriatric pet rat. I had lots of fun, and the rat survived the visit, but I was definitely living out of my luggage! When I visited my other sister, I slept on the couch again, but the living room was immaculate, and there was a spot for my luggage to sit quietly out of the way. Having traveled excessively since then, I've gotten to see the really nice guest rooms and the let's-just-shove-this-off-the-couch-there! My old apartment had the space but not the organization. My new apartment has the space but not the furniture (discretionary income helps, it turns out), so I'm not there yet. 
  • A full bed. 'Nuff said.
    • Although...nice bed linens, a duvet with a nice cover, and three pillows more than you really need are a requisite part of any grown-up bed.
  • Basic cooking supplies. I've been covered on this front for years, the trick has been not having so many cooking supplies they start to obscure each other.
  • A dining table, table linens, and nice china. I don't know that I require the full china service, but a pair of wine glasses is a necessity. And a wine bottle. It's really easy when you drink wine maybe once a year, because then you just wait for someone to give you a bottle and you are set.
  • Tea. Teapot. Teacups. Little plates. This is not the same as dining. This is TEA.
  • Sad to say, a television and accompanying equipment. It's hard to host movie night otherwise. 
And the intangibles (so much more important!)
  • A cleaning schedule
  • A specific space for dropping all bags and coats that does not block the door and is NOT the middle of the living room. 
  • Control over the placement of furniture. These days I visit my parents' house, look around, and go, "Hm, these chairs have been in the same place for fifteen years...they could be rearranged."
    • This is very different from trading out old chair from the curb for new chair from the curb.
  • Waking up before the alarm clock goes off.
  • A morning routine
  • Going to bed at the same time every night, before midnight.
  • Having a savings account. Putting money in the savings account is a bonus.
  • MAKING SUSHI!!!
    • *ahem* From memory.



No comments: