Friday, April 17, 2009

time out

Possibly I spent too much time last night studying in compensation for not studying earlier, and got five hours of sleep. So that may explain the feeling sucky all afternoon today. I can force myself through lecture, but the thought of spending hours floundering about as the untrained surgery tech (getting progressively colder in the well-chilled surgery ward) was too much. I went home and slept on and off. When I couldn't sleep anymore, I got up. I've had some lamb thawed out for a couple of days, so I put it in a stew pot with the usual compliment of vegetables, then sauteed the leftovers. There was probably a half pound of lamb there...after I finished off most of it, it occurred to me that my blood iron is probably low again. I tend to crave tomatoes, meat, and liver (in that order) as I become more anemic. I'm not feeling a particular craving for liver, true; but then, I just ate a lot of red meat.  

So it's been a non-starter of a day. I tried to go in to school early, and ended up spacing out for most of the "extra time" I had gained.

But there's sunlight, and I'm doing a lot of watering of plants. I put five little strawberry plants in pots and they're putting out leaves on super-fuzzy stalks. I can't say the same for the ones I ripped out of the garden a few weeks ago. Most exciting are the thin cylinders of leaf coming from my Hawaiian stick. It will be a plumeria, some day, or so the label said. It's always nice when the things I plant manage to stay alive. It's not that I dramatically murder green leafy organisms, they just...pine for water and light.

No comments: