Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bad exams

Two exams gone badly, three to go...gosh, I may end up retaking every exam if I keep up like this. Pharmacology was bad, since I knew only half the drugs, and you can't predict their effects if you don't know what part of the nervous system they affect. I think I completely mucked up my essay on how beta receptors work too. It's sad, because I actually LIKE pharmacology. But I said that about neurology too. And anatomy. Apparently my study techniques are way sub-par this semester. I obviously have to stop having dinner when I get home, since that seems to suck two hours away from the evening.

That said, I'm going to go study now.

2 comments:

Life in vet school said...

Oh, studying. How I don't miss that this week. :) I just read through your blog, and I cannot believe how much you like Histology -- I think it was my least favorite class last semester! It's cool you get to spend so much time with large animals, though (live ones, I mean) -- we spend a grand total of 2 days this semester with them, and it's for a clinical medicine class. I guess they figured cadavers were good enough for Anatomy.

Since you mentioned subpar study techniques (and because I'm always curious about this), can I ask you how you study? Specifically? I think my own studying is subpar, so I'm looking for new things to try.

Ceres said...

Wow, look at all the time that's passed! I'm working on the theory of vet school relativity...time passes normally in school, but then one day you think "I haven't seen a non-vet person since February". Ditto for blogs.

Subpar study techniques...when I DO study, which happens a lot more erratically than I like, I have three steps. Read the material. Write the material down on flash cards. Lose the flash cards and rewrite everything onto new flash cards. I like drawing pictures too. I can tell when I've studied long enough for one sitting because I start anthropomorphizing metabolic processes and the like. But really, describing the electron transport chain as a series of muggings works surprisingly well.